Monday, February 28, 2011

Moving In

I moved into the Griffith University Village (GUV) on Thursday, February 17th. I loved it from the moment I walked into my room. I live with 4 other girls from my program and an 1st year Australian boy named Tom. He’s really nice and a pretty good cook. The following Monday started O-week and let me tell you, it was far from orientation at Merrimack (OC ’10, I didn’t say better, I just said different. You’re still my #1) On Monday, there was village Olympics. I did not get to attend because I was in a information session for international students, but my block ended up winning most enthusiastic! Monday night was Las Vegas night, so the village staff had hired a DJ and set up poker tables for us to gamble with
Monopoly money. Tuesday, I went on a campus tour and then at 5 o’clock, the village fed us hamburgers, live bands played, and finally we took a free bus to Surfer’s Paradise for the night. Wednesday, the village staff took us to Talebudgera Beach, which was obviously beautiful. It rained a little, but I played a girls vs. boys tug-o-war match and it was all in all a fun day. Later that night, my friend Brian and I competed against other residents in a Red Bull DJ contest. We didn’t win, but we had a lot of fun trying. Thursday was the “Ultimate Aussie Experience.” There were Aboriginal workshops, instrument playing, and a chance to hold a baby crocodile, which I respectfully declined the offer of. After that, everyone in the village headed down to the newly renovated Parkwood Tavern where it was an exclusive GUV night. Friday was relaxing. I hung by the pool with new friends and went shopping for alittle, but nothing too exciting. Friday Jenna, and two of our new friends Cathy and Julia, both attend Western New England University, and me started a new tradition. We cooked chicken cutlets, pasta, and salad and had a “family dinner.” We decided that we are going to keep doing this every Friday for the semester and this coming Friday, we have included more friends and made it a potluck! Saturday was the best day. The village didn’t plan anything, so 10 of my new friends headed down to Coolangatta Beach, about an hour away from Southport to watch the Quicksilver Pro Surfing Competition. The beach, the weather, and the people were all beautiful. I even met a pro surfer! Spoiler alert for those of you who follow the sport: Kelly Slater, who was previously ranked number one was eliminated in the first round. As a kid growing up, my brother was pretty big into surfing so it was really amazing to see the competition in reall life and know who some the surfers competing were. Later that night, GUV provided us with free tacos and then cabs to Surfer’s Paradise for the night. Needless to say, Sunday they provided a “recovery brunch” which was more than necessary. As O-week ended, I couldn’t believe how many friends I have made here. Right before I got on the plane in Boston, I had told my family and Jenna that the thing I was most nervous about was not meeting people right away, but being down here makes me realize that it’s just like freshman year in college all over again. Everyone is in the same boat and everyone wants to make friends. It’s amazing how even on the other side of the world you can find people with the same interests as you and really connect with them. I can tell that the people I have met down here will be my friends even after we get home.


P.s. For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the link to the video I made! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhx4pDnosiw

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. Honestly, I don't think you ever need to worry about making friends. You are a charming, witty, charismatic (Dougie donated that description), and a really good friend! I'm so glad you are having a good time! But~next time~hold the croc!!! Keep up those family dinners!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all the friends you have made! they are very lucky to know you! now I have to go read the next blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete