Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Community



On Tuesday of last week, Australearn decided that since Australia is giving us such an amazing experience that we should give back to them. They took us to an area an hour outside of Cairns to help Conservation Volunteer Australia plant trees. We spent two hours planting, potting, weeding, and fertilizing; it was exhausting, but it was a growing experience. We learned that for every seven trees we planted it would cancel out the usage of once car per year and that the trees would be fully grown in three years time. It is important to Aussies tomake sure their wildlife and forest is growing steadily because down here there is no longer an O-zone layer. After we were all finished, we at some sandwiches and headed back to the hotel and attended an information session. This information session was all about what we do after we leave our adventure week and head into the real world of Australia. Our leader told us about different Australian customs, beliefs, and how to travel around the southern hemisphere. He also told us all about culture shock and how most people experience it in some form or another. While he was speaking, I kept thinking how it is not going to happen to me. I don’t want to wake up one morning and be miserable or be thinking about how much I miss home. I know that I’m going to get homesick, that is inevitable, but I want to make sure that my longing for the comfortable does not effect my experience down here. I want to make the most of it and I want to embrace the casual Australian lifestyle. Our leader told us that one sure way to distract ourselves from homesickness and culture shock is to plan fun and exciting get-aways. So tonight, Jenna and I decided we are going to make a “bucket list” of places and activities we want to do while we are down here. We know we want to make it to Sydney and Melbourne, maybe New Zealand (depending on funds) and hopefully enough to get to the outback. But, we know that there are plenty of activities we can do around the Gold Coast and closeto school; such as, learn how to surf, make friends with Australians, and eat kangaroo. It’s been less than a week in Australia and I have all ready done so many things I never thought I’d be able to do in my life, but this beautiful country has so much to offer, I can’t wait for the unexpected surprises to begin.

The next day, I headed to Port Douglas which is about an hour north of Cairns. For those of you who love movies, you might recognize the town as being in the critically acclaimed, award winning Matthew
Mcconaughey and Kate Hudson movie Fool’s Gold. Anyway, the town is beautiful, obviously. The town has shops all along the main road and a beach at one end. It was quite possibly the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The water was warm that it was almost not refreshing, but we had fun nonetheless.

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying Australia through your eyes! I love reading about all the places you've been and all the life changing experiences you're having! As you've said, this is a trip of a lifetime; I'll do my best to help you get to the places on your list!! I'm so proud you for giving back--anything we can do to help the environment is a step in the right direction to preserving our great planet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely loled at the "Fool's Gold" comment ... I wish I could go to the beachhhhhhhhhhhhh this is so gay. And tonight at the mall i was like, "I miss Lisa," and Dan goes "HAHA You have a long way to go." Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea to make a bucket list.. I hope you get to accomplish all that you have set out to do.. keep up the great blog! oh, and enjoy your weather.. we might get snow here in Santa Maria!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, what a great start to your BLOG. Thank you for sharing all the wonderful experiences you are having with all of us. It sounds like you are taking advantage of all the wonderful opportunities there. Enjoy every minute- your semester will fly by! Please have some Tim Tams for me :)

    ReplyDelete