Friday, July 8, 2011

The Lasts

The week after all my finals and before my mom arrived on the Gold Coast became solemnly the week of lasts. Our last Shooters BBQ and bus ride, our last beach day, our last trip to Brisbane, our last goodbyes. It was an adventurous time for me and Julia (because everyone else still had finals), but it was an emotional time for us all.

My finals ended on June 16th, which meant that I had free time between then and the 25th to do things I didn’t have a chance to do while during the school year. Julia and I decided to take advantage of the amazing winter weather the Gold Coast has to offer. Almost every day we woke up there was not a cloud in the sky and we could find no reason to spend any time inside. One day we played mini golf and then went for our final trip to Sumo Salad and our last trip to Broadbeach. It was one of our “adventures” that we created for ourselves. We tried to go hiking, but it turns out the Goldie is a fairly flat area of Australia. Another day, we headed to the beach and on that Thursday we just laid by the pool all day. Cathy’s mom was in town for two weeks, so we decided it was necessary she act like an authentic Australian. Me, Cathy, Julia, and Cathy’s mom headed to Brisbane for the day and then went to an Australian Rules Football League game that night. We watched the Brisbane Lions play even though we didn’t understand one rule of the game. For our last trip to Brisbane, Julia and I stayed at her friend Elyana’s house because we were in the mood for another fun adventure.

Elyana lives in an area of Brisbane called St. Lucia, which Julia and I decided was one of the cutest suburbs ever and if we come back to Australia for good we would seriously consider living there. That night Elyana took us to a bar called the Stock Exchange, which was unlike any other bar I’ve been to. There was dance floor on the bottom floor, but once you headed up stairs the whole bar was outside. Granted it was a little cold, but I had to take in the view. From the top floor you could see the entire Brisbane skyline. It was really amazing. We decided to have some fun in the bar so Julia, Elyana, and me ran around telling anyone who would listen that it was Elyana’s 21st birthday. The funny thing is that it was anywhere near the time of her birthday, but everyone believed us and bought her drinks. We had so much fun on Saturday night that we couldn’t help staying another night; considering it was an “adventure” and all. Sunday night Elyana took us to a hotel bar called the RE. This place was also unique. Almost the whole bar was like an outdoor patio and there was a band playing. In Surfer’s Paradise we sometimes go to a bar called Beergarden to watch a band called Venus Envy and while in Brisbane the craziest thing happened: Venus Envy was playing at the RE. It was a really fun and relaxing environment, but it was a Sunday so the bar closed fairly early. Regardless, we had a lot of fun and it’ll be a weekend I never forget.

The Tuesday after our amazing weekend in Brisbane was one of the most fun, yet most sad nights we’ve ever had. Every Tuesday the housing complex I live in drives us to Surfer’s Paradise for a night at a club called Shooters. Our little group has had some of the most fun times at this club and Tuesday was one to not forget. It was all of our last Tuesday night and Tanya’s last night at Griffith, so we needed to make it amazing and I’m willing to say that we certainly did. During my study abroad, I have made friendships with many people, but most of them are just fellow Americans studying the same way I am. Tanya, on the other hand, is from Port Douglas and is the best Australian friend I will ever have. She left Griffith on Wednesday morning at 4:45am. Cathy, Julia, Jenna, and myself decided to stay up all night and send off Tanya because we don’t know when is the next time we’ll ever see her again. The five of us have become so close these past five months and I know my experience down here would not be even close to as fun or the same without Tanya. It was an emotional goodbye to say the least. It was an odd feeling, especially for me. I knew that I would see the other four girls again, almost all the time once I get home because we all live so close together, but Tanya lives in Australia. However, I knew that I was coming back up to Cairns and would most likely make plans to see her again. Nonetheless, it was sad.

Cathy and her mom went to Sydney for the 22nd to the 24th so it was the Three Amigos for a little while. Since my friends were moving out soon there was really no food left in any of our houses. On Friday night, Jenna, Julia, and me cooked up broccoli with garlic and mushrooms, cut up carrots, celery, tomatoes, and cucumbers and considered it dinner. Honestly, it was the least filling dinner of my life, but the fun we had making it was enough. After Tanya left, the next exciting event was having my mom come. She arrived on the Saturday before all my friends left for home. I was excited for her to meet them, but I was sad to see them all go. It was nearly as emotional as sending Tanya off at 4:30am, but I did watch them leave around 3am on Sunday morning. Like I said in the blog from Byron Bay, I can’t imagine my time in Australia without these friends and I realize now more than ever that it’s true. Without them here it’s like something is missing. My mom and I are having an absolute blast and I am not sad or eager to go home yet. I want to enjoy my time in this amazing country as much as I can, but I definitely wish that my friends could be around to experience it with me. If you guys are reading this know three things: 1. I’ve been listening to “Fast Car” on repeat while writing this, 2. you’re the best, and 3. July 15th is going to be a reuniting we never forget.

p.s. Tanya…. You’re coming to the states ASAP- no excuses, play like a champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment